Your browser is unsupported

We recommend using the latest version of IE11, Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari.


Students who have never studied Japanese before nor lived in a Japanese-speaking country/home, should sign up for Japanese 101.

If you have previously studied Japanese anywhere (elementary, middle or high school or another college/university) or if you learned Japanese by living in a Japanese-speaking country or home and do not have AP credit, you must take the UIC placement test.

Students with AP credit for Japanese or transfer students with Japanese credit from another college/university should consult their advisor.

Note: Students may only take the placement test once per year.

UIC Placement Test

What do I do if the class I placed into is too easy/hard? Heading link

Students must register for the course into which they are placed.

If you have concerns about your placement, you should speak with your instructor and contact the Japanese Basic Language Coordinator.

Only the Coordinator can authorize changes. All changes must be completed by the end of add/drop.

What do I do if I place out of JPN 104? Heading link

If you place out of JPN 104 and are interested in continued study of Japanese, you may register for JPN 200 or JPN 210.

Native speakers of Japanese who place out of JPN 104 may not register for JPN 200 or JPN 210.

For further information, please contact the Basic Language Program Coordinator.